Skip to main content

Rainy days and sun days

Sometimes we wish for sunshine but instead find ourselves jumping in (not over) the puddles, getting soakers (and liking it) and remembering how good warm rain feels on our bare legs.  That is kind of how my post-chemo weekend went.

Thursday's "round three special" went just fine, made even better by my first class companion, Karen.  She brought me broccoli cheddar soup.  Good, comforting, pre-chemo nourishment, I thought.  Further endorsed by my assigned nurse who had just returned from her lunch of aforementioned broccoli cheddar soup.  Her name was Karen too.  Hmmm...Karen the nurse and Karen the friend carin' for me.  This was a good sign.  I remarked to Karen (my friend) that I hoped we'd be in and out in record time.  <this is where Ellen should have knocked on wood>.  Unfortunately, there was a bit of a hiccup with my pre-chemo blood work.  My white blood cell count from two days prior was 0.5 and I needed a strong 1.0 to be good to go.  So I had to repeat the blood work and wait 1-2 hrs in hopes of new and improved results.  Karen decided this was a blessing, our having extra time to enjoy each others' company and catch up.  I decided she was right.  Enjoy the rain when it comes as it brings things the sun cannot.
Sun can't make "Radiohead mud" (taken at Radiohead concert, Montreal, Canada)
When my blood work results came back an hour later at 1.0, we all breathed a sigh of relief.  The show would go on after all!

To set the mood just right, the lovely hospital volunteer tucked me in to my recliner all cosy-like with not one, but two of those prized, heated, hospital blankets while Karen the nurse set to work prepping me for treatment.  I was souped up (pun intended) and ready to go before long and 60 minutes later we were on our way home. 

In the spirit of holding steadfast to my pursuit of honesty throughout this blog and well, life in general, I feel I should tell you that the days that followed this round were not my best.  Not my worst, but really not fun times.  I was supposed to have taken baby Imogen on her first camping trip this past weekend.  I have a special campsite that I've taken each of my kids to the first June of their lives, just them and mommy (and some of mommy's friends).  I even have a special rock I like to perch on while staring out at the lake, and I had really hoped I could still make this trip happen for Imogen and me.  I guess it was mid-day on Saturday when I finally accepted that it was probably not best to venture out.  But you know what?  My oldest friend took her toddler on his first camping trip in our place!  This makes me so happy, much like I was when this photo was taken of me during last year's trip. 
My rock
So what kept us from going?

It's funny, I initially felt fine for several hours post-treatment, but late Thursday evening a slow, steady pulse of uneasiness started to creep through my limbs, bringing with it a cloud of nausea that refused to settle.  I found I couldn't eat at all, not for lack of appetite or wanting, but rather due to the strangest feeling that my stomach had just closed up shop for the season.  This trend carried on for three days.  Even my former friend, water, turned on me, not daring to venture in but to briefly kiss my lips.   Not surprisingly, I became terribly lethargic, trying to balance rest with hydration and more anti-nauseals, coming up for air in the form of an occasional saltine.  If I had been able to hold down food it would have been rejected, such was the state of my poor tum tum.  And then, like the clouds that had sneakily settled in over the weekend, those symptoms disappeared, and the sun and my appetite returned in unison on Monday.  By Monday night I was on the mend and as of today, I'm happy to report I am back to 99% energy and 150% appetite.  We celebrated with Greek on Wheels!
"I PITA the fool that doesn't enjoy Greek on Wheels!"

And wouldn't you know it, it rained all day today.  Then the clouds and sun fought a most valiant fight at dusk.  Who do you think won? 

Blessing report:
This beautiful earth we live on, and all of the people we are honoured to share it with.
My safe, serene Canada.
Rainy days and sun days.



  1. We'll be back at Taylor Lake next year, as it should be my dear!
    I'm so glad the queasies didn't last too long. You are kicking ass at this.

    Lots of love from the west coast

  2. I'm glad the nausea was short lived. You are weathering this storm with such strength and grace.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog


My current cancer treatment, a teeny pill taken daily to stop recurrence, is sucking the life out of my bones. I've been putting off dealing with this inconvenient side effect, frozen by fear and doubt. But it's time to stop putting it on ice. We have a plan to thwart its path of destruction, and tomorrow I am turning up the heat and it is going down. Way down.

Let me back up just a bit and fill you in on what's been going on, and why I am heading back to the Cancer Centre tomorrow.
In March I met with my medical oncologist for my five-year post treatment follow up - FIVE YEARS out of active treatment! How strange to think that I no longer require regular follow up by the Cancer Centre. She explained that care would now be transferred to my family physician, and that I was in charge of following my care plan, a personalized holy grail put together by the Wellness Beyond Cancer program which lays out all of my treatments, surgeries and diagnostics to date, and flags when I sh…

Tongue-tied and tasteless in the tenacious land of Taxotere

Now that 12 days have passed since my first Taxotere infusion, I feel as though I can provide a fulsome report on the drug’s side effects and their affect on my life thus far.Taxotere round one differed drastically from my first AC treatment, in both positive and negative ways.Before I attempt to humour you with a little compare and contrast, I give you the final instalment of my short segment, entitled:

Neulasta, the wonder drug
As it turns out, Neulasta is some serious medicine.I had my first injection the day after my last AC treatment, administered in my thigh, not in my stomach, as I’d been warned would be the case (read: Don’t believe everything you’re told!). For someone who neither enjoys nor fears needles, I can report that it did sting a fair bit going in, but the pain quickly subsided.It took about 12 hours before I had any kind of reaction to the drug.I was warned it could cause bone pain in some individuals, and this time the warnings rang true.It began in my hips the day …


If you've ever cowered beneath the behemoth head of a sunflower, this post is for you. If you like fashion, this post is also for you. If you enjoy watching cat bloopers, this post is definitely not for you, but you're here now so you may as well just read on!

I was invited to be a guest writer on my friend Colleen Kanna's blog, "Keeping Abreast". It was an easy yes as Colleen is an amazing person with whom I feel a special connection. Like me, Colleen faced breast cancer as a young woman and mother. She has channelled her experience, insight and creativity into designing her own line of bamboo-knit adaptive clothing (woot!) which meets the needs of young women touched by cancer – functional (i.e. zippered) while fashionable and feminine. I wish I’d had these during my recovery. 

I encourage everyone to check out all of the beautiful pieces she has created at coKANna Designs, and if you've hung on this far and are still keen on reading my latest piece of writin…