Skip to main content

Time to Choose

Today, I caught myself making excuses for not writing. Again. So I will now attempt (and hopefully succeed) in proving myself wrong, thereby throwing all previously held misconceptions on what I can actually get done in an evening out the window. Here goes...

A lovely colleague stopped me in the hall today to let me know she'd enjoyed reading my most recent post, and suggested that I should continue writing. I was taken aback, and of course, deeply thankful for the compliment, but at the same time, I was reminded of the fact that writing for me is a luxury, to which I devote very little time. I'm a mom first, a professional second, and I leave writing for the rare occasions when I have enough time and energy left over to make a proper attempt. I believe I uttered a heartfelt thank you, followed by a series of excuses that began with, "I love writing but I wish I could find time to write more often", and, "perhaps if I wrote through the night." I walked away feeling a little bit pathetic and sorry for myself, but at the same time reaffirmed, revitalized and challenged. This feeling sat with me throughout most of the day, but I was very good at suppressing it, after all, where would I find the time to write? There are only so many hours in the day, right? We can't possibly do everything we want. Or can we?

Tonight, after putting the kids to bed and poring over finances for a solid 45 minutes with little headway and no end in sight, I shifted gears and turned to face the all-consuming doldrums of domestic despair, i.e., household chores. Something tangible, which seemed simple enough, right? Well the problem with short-term memory impairment, is that a simple chore can evolve into a never-ending comedic dance of sorts. Let me give you a visual, and then you can decide if it warrants a laugh or a cry. Or maybe a crying laugh.

Destination: The kitchen, to do some dishes. I divert to the garage to fetch an ice cold beer (since frosty alcohol and chores are a beautiful pairing). Not quite halfway there, I spot a scrap of paper on the floor, bend down to grab it, and realize the floor is in desperate need of its monthly sweeping. Off I go, detouring to the kitchen for the broom and dustpan, flick on the light switch, then remember a light bulb needs changing on the front porch. I quickly descend to the basement to retrieve said light bulb, walk past the dryer that had finished its load 12 hours prior, curse that the laundry basket is all the way up on the second floor, retreat upstairs to fetch it, then explode in a series of expletives as I trip over the discarded broom in the middle of the kitchen floor, wondering who had left it there and why. And where had I left my beer? 

As anyone who has experienced chemo brain/brain fog will agree, absentmindedness and distraction no longer constitute an inconvenience, they are ingrained in your DNA. I kept believing my health professionals who insisted that, along with my fatigue, this bothersome side effect would lift with time. It didn't. I've heard it does for some, and it has certainly improved tenfold. But it is far from a distant memory. Now what was I saying...ah yes, time.

It's easy to imagine how an entire evening can be consumed by one seemingly straight-forward task. Time was swept up with the dust bunnies I'd forgotten to collect. But really, did it have to be this way? Granted, there are some proven, concrete reasons why my mind wanders so much, and I'd be a fool to expect a full recovery given what my body has been though - but I couldn't help but think that there must be something I'm doing, some choice I am making that is making this far more complicated than it has to be.

That was it. Choices. I had choices, and I had made them each step of the way. I chose to fetch the broom stick. I chose to tackle the outside lighting situation. I chose to let the dryer's end signal light beckon. And regrettably, I had chosen to do some dishes when all I'd really wanted to do was write.

So I tucked away the broom, left the dishes for another day, grabbed my frosty reward, and started typing.

Time. It's all yours. What will you do with it?

(Note: I of course returned to do the dishes after I posted this - that's just who I am. But I chose to do them, and did them triumphantly!)


  1. Feeling your pain, and you did manage to make me laugh at one point...just a heart warming read Ellen....yes, and I wish I could give you a whole lot more hours in the day as well <3 <3 <3


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog


My current cancer treatment, a teeny pill taken daily to stop recurrence, is sucking the life out of my bones. I've been putting off dealing with this inconvenient side effect, frozen by fear and doubt. But it's time to stop putting it on ice. We have a plan to thwart its path of destruction, and tomorrow I am turning up the heat and it is going down. Way down.

Let me back up just a bit and fill you in on what's been going on, and why I am heading back to the Cancer Centre tomorrow.
In March I met with my medical oncologist for my five-year post treatment follow up - FIVE YEARS out of active treatment! How strange to think that I no longer require regular follow up by the Cancer Centre. She explained that care would now be transferred to my family physician, and that I was in charge of following my care plan, a personalized holy grail put together by the Wellness Beyond Cancer program which lays out all of my treatments, surgeries and diagnostics to date, and flags when I sh…

Tongue-tied and tasteless in the tenacious land of Taxotere

Now that 12 days have passed since my first Taxotere infusion, I feel as though I can provide a fulsome report on the drug’s side effects and their affect on my life thus far.Taxotere round one differed drastically from my first AC treatment, in both positive and negative ways.Before I attempt to humour you with a little compare and contrast, I give you the final instalment of my short segment, entitled:

Neulasta, the wonder drug
As it turns out, Neulasta is some serious medicine.I had my first injection the day after my last AC treatment, administered in my thigh, not in my stomach, as I’d been warned would be the case (read: Don’t believe everything you’re told!). For someone who neither enjoys nor fears needles, I can report that it did sting a fair bit going in, but the pain quickly subsided.It took about 12 hours before I had any kind of reaction to the drug.I was warned it could cause bone pain in some individuals, and this time the warnings rang true.It began in my hips the day …


Wishes do come true. But only if you make them happen. 
It was late evening on March 21, 2012. I was standing on my front porch, surrounded by the chill night air, and listening to the melting creek bed whispering notes of spring. I had just left the hospital and my MRI and there was nothing to do now but wait, and live in this moment. 
I stared up at our second storey windows. Inside, my children slept soundly, oblivious to the turmoil in their mother's mind. I turned my head to the baby's window. She stirred. There would be no nursing tonight, the MRI's contrast agent coursing through me had nixed that. At 15 days old, she was already getting used to my not being around. I wondered if this was to become a pattern. Would I be there to hear her first words, to see her first steps, and to watch her enter kindergarten? I was angry and determined to do away with most, if not all of these unknowns. I didn't know how I would do it, but I was going to give it my all.
Of course,…